Tuesday 23 January 2007

Welcome to Your 2nd Home, Gockel!

Welcome to Your 2nd Home, Gockel!
YESTREDAY, I had the privilige to interview Mr. Alfred Alexander Gockel, renowned for his contemporary arts that made a huge success in the painting career. He was a freelance artist and designer and also a lecturer in his former academy which he graduated from. In the year 1981, he has retire from all his works and became a full-time artist which was a very long and sucessfull career.
In the year 1983, He and his wife Ingrid, founded an art publishing company; Avant Art, today a top ranked player in the abstract segment of the market, with customers in more than 50 countries worldwide.In 1987, the procelain, carpet and sportswear industries have made use of Gockel's design. To meet the demands of this expansion, Gockel purchased a mill in 1988 and converted it to use as a center for graphic printing. In 1990, this has led to international recognition and the establishment of two other studios, one in Londoon andthe other in Connecticut.
Surprisingly after all his success, at the age of 70, he suddenly decided to migrate to Malaysia and spend the rest of his life here. As soon as he arrived at the airport, I took the opportunity to invite him for dinner and interview him and these are what I received from the Q&A session:
Q: Good evening Mr. Gockel and welcome to Malaysia, I'm representing the STAR II to write an exclusive article concerning your migration to Malaysia. Frankly speaking, I'm very surprise that you would settle down in Malaysia. What made you decide this?
A: I find that Malaysia is a very special place. Especially it's cultures. The Malays aren't only the first culture that left an impression on me, but also the only culture in the world which is very impressive and unique.
Q: So what do you think best represent Malaysian's culture?
A: I was told that Malaysia is a multi-racial country, and there are alot of other sub cultures beside the 3 major cultures that formed this country. I think the words 'Love' and 'Harmony' are the best describtion for it.
Q: So why this multi-racial issue fascinates you so much?
A: I personally beleives in love and peace, although we are born with different colours, heights, accents, and gifts, we are still human. We still shares the same attributes of what a normal human has. A pair of eyes, hands, legs, etc. So we should really be welcoming everyone with care and loving. I detest the idea of racism as it brings no harmony in life. Because the people in malaysia managed to live in peace despite their racial differences, I finally made the dicision to choose Malaysia as my 2nd home.
Q: I see, you are a peace lover indeed. You are a very famous artist, a sucessful one, why do you suddently plan to settle here? Is it you wanted to establish another studio in Malaysia?
A: Haha, no, no... I don't plan to take part in any business activities anymore. After all these years of hard work. I have had enough, what I really want in life now is to indulge myself in my favourite paintings. I want to experieance a whole new level of life as well as my painting techniques. That's why I've chosen Malaysia out of the rest of the asian counties. To relax, to meditate, and to paint.
Q: What do you think would give you more ideas on your future paintings?
A: As I'm really sensitive to rhytms, like dances and musics, the ethnic musics and dances might give me some kind of an idea for my next rhytmic painting. The way they sounded was very special and I have never heard it before. They sounded very natural, raw, and beautiful.
Q: What are your expectations towards your paintings after reciding in Malaysia?
A: My aim is to paint harmony. The kind of harmony that you can only feel in Malaysia. The kind of harmoniuos life between various races in a country that flourish and prosper the busy life in Malaysia.
Q: Wonderful, now that you're so looking forward to settle down, have you decided where to built your personal living space?
A: I have chosen a few places, I prefer it to be in between the town and the outskirt of the country. As it wouldn't be too far from civilization and peace and quiet.
As the waitress has approach our table, serving us dinner. I decided it is time to end the conversation and allow Mr. Gockel to enjoy his dinner.
Q: Mr. Gockel, I'm very thankful for you to accept my interviews. I hope you will enjoy Malaysia and find it suitable for you. Peace be with you and good night.
A: Thank you. Peace be with you too.




Rosalind Sharon Goh
0507P54764

No comments: