Tuesday 23 January 2007

DAWN MESON
by Yong Pei Yee 0601P49451

Dawn Neal Meson, possible the only well recognized San Francisco female artist of conceptual physics incredibility, she has arrived in Malaysia and decided to ageing in our multi-cultured civilization. Dawn Meson had been working with Stanford Linear Accelerator scientists to try to capture the phenomenon occurs in accelerator looks like and created astonishing images. Art is lifeblood- powerfully felt from her works. Many people are enthusiastic about the mix of science and art in Meson's work. Her works are appreciated by multiple levels, for its esthetics and as well as the science.

“ I would like my work to interest them in science. For scientists, I hope my work somehow will be inspirational. ”

What are you attempting in painting?
My attempt is to illuminate invisible and to mimic quantum models. The interactions in physics are theoretically understood by us but it is unseen and useable. Therefore, I desire to discover the insignificant Quantum phenomena and paint it, this is why art can contribute beyond photography. Nevertheless, It is through visualization and imagination in scientific progress of quantum observations and its theory.

“ Spin has nothing to do with visual reality.” Dawn Meson

How you express those interactions in your painting?
I used color, translucency, texture and shape as symbols. And I strike the richest complexity and mystery of subatomic realm. I should say that, the body of my work is the believed structures as it is about science and it is based on my understanding of the concepts and theories of modern physics.

Can you explain it in details? I am so excited to know how you do that as painting unseen is a great challenge.
Okay, for example, when I want to express complex theoretical concepts, I will create few systems of symbols and shorthand. When painting actions of particles, such as colliding, I will choose billiard ball to represent the particle and show stages of the interaction lay over. I will also use different color coded or tones of color to represent the saturation correspond to the probabilities of the particles.

Why do you choose Malaysia as your ageing in place?
Because Malaysia have steady weather which is suitable for me and it has gorgeous scene nary.

Do you have specific site for your retreat?
I am still looking for it, but most probably will be Rendang Island in Terrenganu.

What is so attractive about Rendang Island that made you in love to live there?

The main reason is because Rendang Island is located outside the city. I want to enjoy and relax my life in peace which then facilitates me in painting my work.


Will you choose Malaysia Architect as your designer?

Sure, Malaysia architects are knowledgeable with Malaysia extraordinary climate and tropical design. I have keen interest for my house in tropical design with timber as the main building material.

Can you talk about your dream house?
I want a house that can reflect the true me. I prefer curvature house that shows movement and it must be able to speak the architecture language of interaction of physics with the spaces inside are interrelated. Every space in the house must have its distinct architectural language. I fancy for a big studio. When an artist draws, they need full dedication and focus, that’s why I always paint in my house. This is already a habit for me-living and working in a studio. Also, I want my bedroom to position besides the studio. With this design, it eases me to view my works when I am in my bedroom or do not need to walk so much when I need to take a nap. A simple house layout of one level access or with minimize number of staircase will do. I want a house with a lot of opening that can infuse natural sunlight to the house. Worth mentioning, house with less openings give me the sentiment of being trapped, and this can kill me. Other than that, a balcony and small garden that is unproblematic for me to upkeep in addition to it is where I can inhale fresh air and carry my exercise. Lastly, it must have additional room for my guest when they visiting me.

How much is your budget for your dream home in Malaysia?
I ought to say appropriate budget providing it is worth the price.


Last but not least, I am grateful for your meeting with us and hope you will enjoy your days in Malaysia.

No comments: