Project 6: FESTIVAL OF TRANSITIONAL ARCHITECTURE (Christchurch)
- Specificity of building programme (use) helps prevent nondescript architecture. 'Multipurpose' is often seen as non-commitment, "Everything is nothing", Federico.
Definition of NONDESCRIPT1: belonging or appearing to belong to no particular class or kind : not easily described2(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nondescript accessed 16 Aug 2012)
- Multi-layered programmes enrich outcomes.
- The ability to infuse architecture with characteristics that induce varied readings (responses, perceptions) from the public (user) is an indication of design skill.
- Understand the quantitative requirements of the brief, use the limit of floor space as a design enhancer. (10 sq m is no bigger than a single bedroom!)
- Less is more (Rohe, MV); Less is a bore (Venturi, R); ...or Less is simply poor (Ng, A S)
- Articulation of space, and a sense of enclosure are identifiers of architecture. (Less that, you may get just a landmark, however meritorious in its own right.) The Seat Public Pavilion just about achieves that identity, but for the SHAC competition brief it would need to be more.